1. Castle and Ball Hotel. High st. Marlborough. 01672 515201. Bedrooms: 3 single, 20 double, 6 twin. All ensuite. Tea-making facilities and colour TV. Special midweek leisure rate for two nights or more: phone and ask for details, as this changes all the time. It usually includes dinner. Rate: £75 including breakfast.
Historic coaching inn dating from 15th century.
2. The Marlborough. High St, Marlborough (near St Peter’s church). 01672 515011. (http://themarlboroughgroup.co.uk) Ancient pub with lots of character. £60 per room per night, but ask for mid-week rate. This pub has been newly renovated and food is reputed to be good.
Leaflet of other hotels and B & B places in Marlborough from the Tourist Office: 01672 513989. Or visit http://www.a1tourism.com/uk/marlborough.html for a comprehensive list of hotels and bed and breakfast places.
Bed and breakfast:
3. The Old Forge, East Kennett, Nr Marlborough. Mrs L. Feeley: 01672 861686, 07770 871066. email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Bedrooms: 1 twin, 1 family, 1 en suite, 1 private. Single from £50, double from £60. Five minutes away.
4. Pear Tree House, 40 St Martins, Marlborough, Pauline Berryman, 01672 514030 or 07713612460. (email@example.com.) Bedrooms: 1 double with ensuite bathroom, one twin beds with shared bathroom. Double £30-£40 per night, twin £25 per night. Comfortable, quiet house, five minutes walk from high street. Full English or continental breakfast. Dogs welcome.
5. Glebe House. Pepita Hurd. Mildenhall, Marlborough SN8 2LU. 01672 512665. (firstname.lastname@example.org) Bedrooms: twin and two singles, all ensuite. £35 per night for 3 nights, £40 if fewer. Thatched cottage by river Kennett. About five minutes drive from Marlborough, on the road to Ramsbury. Pub three minutes walk.
6. Wye Lane, London Road, Marlborough. SN8 1PJ. 01672 513210. Twin/Double Bedroom – £70 per night, Single Bedroom – £50. http://www.orchardclose-bb for more details.
You can also check the website of the tourist agency: http://www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/accommodation. Check on a map for villages with fifteen minutes drive.